Friday, January 16, 2009

If You Forget Me by Pablo Neruda

Hello, happy new year!!! I hope that you had a happy Christmas and good year so far, I know that I did. anyway, for this months blog I am going to talk about one of Pablo Neruda's poems name "If You Forget Me." The reason why I chose this poem is because someone really recommended me to read one of his poems. They told me that he is a good poet and there were several things that I learned about him. One thing that I learned was that he is also a Reyes and that Pablo Neruda is not his real name. If you want to learn more about him there is a link for you guys to learn more about him.

The poem that I decided to write about for this month is named If You Forget Me. I had to read the poem around three times to finally see what it meant; at least to me. to me, the poem sounds like someone has a broken heart and is trying to get by. I am trying to say that the peom sounds like a guy that doesn't want his love forgetting or something, if she does he will try to do the same thing. the poem is talking about how everything reminds the author of the person he loves and that if she forgets about him, he will also forget. also, that if she still loves him and she still loves him, he will still love her.

i chose this poem because it sounds like a love that will always be there and also when the love is gone all the person wants to do is forget but not pretend that it never happened because then it will be really messed up. if you guys have a differenet meaning to this or have any other reasons why you like the poem then don't forget to put it as part of the comment.

If You Forget Me

8 comments:

radio_nessa said...

Oh, I love Pablo Neruda. He is an amazing poet and I just love how he writes. He really just might be one of the greatest poets out there, especially romantic one as proven in 'If You Forget Me'.

When I first read it, I just felt like finally someone understands! Everyone wants to be in love forever, but the thing is that you're not sure whether or not the other person feels the same. If they stop loving you, fine, you don't love them back. But if they promise to love you till the end of days, then you will too. (Don't you feel the same?)

This poem is magnificent. It shows how one struggles to keep their pride and their love in tact. Great choice!

p.s. One poem that's just everlasting about lost love is "The Raven" by Edgar Allen Poe. Read it, take it apart, and then appreciate it.

sherre vernon said...

I also love Neruda. Sonnet 17, is of course, a masterpiece.

Chicken Little said...

Hey there,

True that Pablo Neruda is an amazing poet and i am impressed that someone like you will ever find him. I would expect you to analyze Robert Frost's poetry or maybe other famous poets, but i never thought that you will ever analyze one of his works.

Moving on, i think that it is true that everyone wants love to last forever, but sadly it doesn't. As generations past more and more people are having trouble with the true meaning of love and thus the statistics show that divorce is rapidly increasing since the 70's. Personally, i have trouble seeking my loved one because i always find myself unfaithful. I don't know what to do, but that is how i am. I try my best, but then if i hang out around with another person my feelings take in control and both my mind and my heart are mesmerized to the point that i don't realize my fault.

Nonetheless, i think this is a perfect poem and i think i should really make choices. I don't think that being single is working anymore and it is time to change plans. Its time for Plan B.

Thank You Vanessa for choosing such an uplifting poet. Thank You.

dianasaur said...

Woah. I am in love with this poem now. I have never really come across Pablo Neruda but i am happy you introduced him to me.
As i was reading it, i was so refreshed. I agree with Flores, its as though some one wrote out my feelings. I mean, at a break up, you can't do much but try to move on, but when you know that the other person still likes you, its a relieving sort-of feeling and you feel like there may be chance to repair things. The poem makes you feel like you're not the only one.
I wonder if he wrote it in his native language and if that's the case, is the meaning less as strong?
I loved you blog. You chose the best poem ever. Can't wait for your next one!

If you're looking for another love poem, look into Shakespeare's Sonnet 18. Its not as fun but its romantic.
If not, look into some of the ones in the "Vagina Monologues"! I promise you will them!

steviesaur1105 said...

I liked the poem that you chose out. I'm not really o of the whole love poems, because so many of them sound cliche to me. The poem that you chose was very honest and true. There were no hidden messages besides the metaphoric language, bu even the metaphors were just metaphors. The basic message of the poem was plainly and simply written. For this, I can really say tat simplicity is a virtue.

Leslie C. said...

Dear Vanessa
I don't know who Pablo Neruda is, but what I've heard he is a really good poet. Why did you chose to write about a poem that spoke of love? It is interesting to know that when people are really in love it is hard to forget about eachother when they break apart. The poem is really good and try not to repeat sentences that require the same idea. I can't wait to read what other poem you will talk about in your next blog.

M.M. said...

Dear Vanessa,
You’ve had several beginnings of sentences without the first letter being capitalized. This month’s blog it seems as if you just rushed into it, and tried to get it over with. I say that because you re-mention in your second paragraph, what you already mentioned in your introduction.Other than that it was veru interesting.

Hernan_1992 said...

Wow you truly know how to break down a poem. I give this blog 2 thumbs up and if i had a third id put that one up to. Well enjoyed how you were able to describe every peace and truly synthesize pablo nerudos writing.